Customizable Privacy with Ankr's Secret Network RPC
January 24, 2023
4 min read
Building on the “privacy hub for Web3” just got a lot easier with Ankr’s RPC connection and gateway to communicate with the Secret Network blockchain.
Secret Network has made waves in the blockchain space with its Layer 1 blockchain and a relatively mature ecosystem of privacy-preserving applications. Its privacy-first focus has skyrocketed network activity after striking several strategic partnerships in 2022.
We see the current moment as the best time to add Secret Network to Ankr’s expanding RPC service. Users can now access Secret Network Public and Premium RPCs, make request calls, and receive information returns that mirror the results they would get by running a Secret Network full node on their own.
What is Secret Network?
Secret Network, the first blockchain with data privacy by default for smart contracts, enables users to create and use permissionless and privacy-preserving applications. This one-of-a-kind functionality protects users, secures applications, and enables hundreds of never-before-imagined Web3 use cases.
Secret Network is based on the Tendermint SDK, which provides interoperable privacy across the entire Cosmos network. It combines Intel SGX (Software Guard Extension) and Trusted Execution Environment technology, as well as several encryption schemes and novel private key management for network users.
Intel SGX divides the protocol into two sections. The security component is in charge of processing sensitive data via the TEE (Trusted Execution Environment) technology algorithm, which an ordinary person may encounter, for example, when unlocking his smartphone with his fingerprint.
The network, which was first launched on mainnet in February 2020, is supported by dozens of independent development companies (including the SCRT Labs core development team), world-class "secret node" operators, and thousands of Secret Agents worldwide who are working to advance the cause of data privacy for the decentralized web.
What is The Secret Network Public RPC?
- The RPC (Remote Procedure Call) of the Secret Network connects your wallet, command-line interface, or dApp to the Secret Network blockchain. It functions as a blockchain messenger or router, relaying on-chain information between nodes, dApps, and end users.
- Ankr's Secret Network RPC endpoints are a gateway for developers to interface directly with the Secret Network chain — a portal to communicate easily, remotely, and without the DevOps of setting up their own Secret Network nodes.
- Ankr offers a geo-distributed and decentralized Secret Network RPC composed of many independent blockchain nodes running globally for low latency and extremely reliable connections.
- It can be used by anyone, anywhere, at any time, without requiring an email address, a credit card, or any other personal information.
What are the Benefits for Developers?
Ankr's RPC service offers a simple and straightforward resolution to the following challenges developers face:
- Eliminating difficult node operations — As anyone who has tried knows, running a node is not always as simple as it appears. The Ankr public RPC removes the need for many developers to set up their own Secret Network node, saving them hours of time building, calibrating, and troubleshooting node issues.
- Providing access to advanced tools — Ankr provides the best tools for those who want to build with Secret Network in order to build applications quickly. Those who purchase the Ankr Protocol Premium version will have immediate access to:
Unlimited Secret Network requests
Global node distribution
Private Secret Network endpoints
WebSockets (WS) capabilities
- Powering apps and open-source software that require Secret Network access — Connect to a cluster of high-performance nodes that contain the data required to build and run dApps with Secret Network chain capabilities.
- Strengthening the Secret Network network globally by allowing for easier development and a larger, decentralized node infrastructure. Ankr will incentivize independent and enterprise Secret Network node operators to add their nodes to the load balancer in exchange for ANKR tokens, resulting in a larger network with many more Secret Network nodes.
What is Next for Ankr’s RPC Service?
Ankr Protocol is just getting started with decentralized infrastructure, and we intend to add support for a growing number of chains in the future. Ankr’s unique and important interface aggregates so many access points and tools in one place, allowing developers to build a truly multi-chain future.
We are currently developing RPC capabilities for many more chains, which will be available on our dashboard, which will house all of our public RPC endpoints with one-click wallet connections, chain activity, analytics, and more to come.